I hate goodbyes

I hate the universe sometimes....It so often screws with me.

Once again Austin and I are having to say goodbye to friends. Over the last several years we've had many friends move away. Every time it's been hard. Every time tears were shed. Every time I hoped the friendship wouldn't die.

This time I really hope we can keep the flame of friendship burning bright.

If you would have told me a year and a half ago, I would be sad that Jake and Wendy were moving away, I wouldn't have believed you. We met at book club. It was clear right away that these were interesting people. But there was also some clashing. (Largely due to me hating Kafka. Sorry I'm still not a fan. ;) ) I actually don't remember how or when it happened, but somewhere along the way, instead of seeing differences, I started seeing similarities. We became friends. And now they're some of my favorite people in the whole world. And they're moving.

I'm happy they'll get to be with family and live in HAWAII, but......I'll miss them terribly.

Wendy in particular. I want to publicly thank her for the last several months. While she was pregnant, she came over once a week or so to help watch Morgan while I worked. I can't even begin to say what a difference she made for me. She was a friend in a time I really needed one. She listened to me talk way too much, and she made me laugh and remember who I was. I think her friendship (as well as that of my other wonderful, supportive friends; you all know who you are) really helped me push through the depths of my depression, which I still haven't written about yet on this blog. But I will, eventually.

Anyway, I've had so much fun with you guys, whether it was playing Munchkin or writer's group or getting my butt kicked in MarioKart or just talking (or debating) all night (sometimes till 3 a.m.) about every topic on earth. Thank you for caring about us and for loving our son. You guys are truly great, wonderful people. My life is better for having had known you. I will miss you. I'm not just going to ask for you to stay in touch, I'm pretty much demanding it. So there.

Comments

Lechelle said…
Tracie, I'm so sorry your friends are leaving.
This is one thing that we learn in our early marriage years with friends move away, and Tracie, 15 years later it is still happening to me. Over the years you get used to it. When your brood of children get bigger and older, then you all become each others best friends and do everything together. It is hard in the beginning with just one baby, but you will get there eventually.
There's nobody I enjoy arguing with more than you. I hope you know me well enough by now to take that for the compliment it is.

You guys know this is far from over. FAR. Trust me when I say that Wendy is feeling just as ill over losing contact with you. I want our kids to get big enough that they're not constantly in danger of crippling themselves when we get together again.
Wendy said…
You are not making this any easier but you are very sweet for the things you said and I feel exactly the same about what kind of influence you've had on my life. I know at least that I would not still be nursing if it wasn't for you. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Apple Taste Test 2013

Anxiety

Tracie's Journal #2