Tracie's Favorite Christmas Movies!

So I remembered once that Austin posted a list 3 years ago of his top ten Christmas movies and thought, you know I should do the same. So here are MY favorite Christmas movies in somewhat ascending order:

1.  The Santa Clause - This is my favorite Christmas movie of all time. This movie is just quintessential Christmas to me. Santa, the holiday spirit, presents, kids, elves, snow, humor. It's got it all. I love how the elfs look like children. It could be that this movie came out when I was still young enough to consider myself a kid (1994) or it could be that it's just that good of a show.

I love this description for The Santa Clause I found on the Sun Sentinel's  list of the Top 25 best Christmas movies: "It's every kid's dream: Dad could be Santa Claus. All he has to do is push the other Santa off his roof. That perfect mix of whimsy and mature laughs made this Tim Allen comedy an annual favorite. Who can forget Allen desperately trying to lose weight and shave his fast-growing beard?

The sequels you ask? We don't speak of them. Ever." (The Santa Clause came in at #4 on their list.)


Sums up my feelings. Especially about the sequels. ;)

2. Home Alone 1 & 2 - I list these two together because they're pretty much the same show. But they're both wonderful. They may be a bit silly and over-the-top and pretty unrealistic but man are they FUNNY. I don't know. I guess I'm a bit of a sadist but I still laugh my butt off every time Marv and Harry get pelted with paint cans. And the time Marv repeatedly gets hit by bricks in #2, I laugh so hard I CRY. Tear. Good times. (As a mention, Home Alone 3 is okay, but it's not a classic like the other two. And I haven't even bothered to see the fourth one. There's a fourth one you ask? Yeah.)

3. The Grinch - The first time I heard of this I was how are they going to make the classic story (and cartoon) into a full-length, live action movie? I saw it in the theater, and my opinion was meh.  But then I started watching it annually around the holidays with my best friend growing up and I grew to love it...just like the Grinch grows to love Christmas and the Whos. Jim Carrey as the Grinch is just hilarious. I love his facial expressions. It's just a fun, quotable movie. I'm going to make Austin watch it one of these days so he can learn to love it too.

4. Elf - Remember back when Will Ferrell was still funny? Ah memories. This movie gets a bit cheesy at the end but I love the childlike tone of this movie. It's a funny, feel-good family movie. I just got in the mood to watch this again. :)

5. Muppet Christmas Carol - The Christmas Carol is not only one of my favorite Christmas stories, it's one of my favorite stories period. You add Muppets to the mix, and well, it's a good time for everyone. Kermit as Bob Cratchit? Michael Caine as Scrooge? Don't miss this one. It's funny, touching, and lovable. Also Muppets.

6.  How the Grinch Stole Christmas - Yep, the original cartoon. It's just awesome. The narration by Boris Karloff (and the voice of the Grinch). The animation of the Grinch when he gets a "wonderful, awful" idea is just not to be missed. And Tony the Tiger singing "You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch"! Childhood memories.

And that's the end of my favorite Christmas movies.

Honorable mentions:
Christmas Vacation - I remember thinking this was a funny movie but I haven't seen it since I was very young. I plan to remedy this.
Scrooged - I need to see this as an adult because I heart Bill Murray. When I was a kid, I just felt bad for him because everyone was mean to him. (I know. I missed the point. But things like that go over your head when you're 8.)
It's a Wonderful Life - I have only seen this once. I know gasp and shock. And not until I was like 14 or so. I remember thinking it was a good movie, but it doesn't scream "Chistmas!" to me. Like Austin says in his blog, "this is a good movie that takes place at Christmas." I need to see this one again.

I know what you're thinking. Where's A Christmas Story? Confession time: I don't really like the movie. Seriously. I think it's overrated. If it wasn't played all day long on Christmas every year, I don't think I'd ever even watch it. (Except it's Austin's favorite so I'll have to watch it occasionally.) I think it has amusing parts, but on the whole, I don't find it that funny or heartwarming or well-made or any of the other criteria I require for a good Christmas movie. Yes, it's iconic, but only because of the forced repetition of the movie every year and the whole "childhood memories" thing. If it was up to me, I'd choose different movies to show all day on Christmas. I know, I know BLASPHEMY. Oh well. It is what it is.

Comments

Austin said…
Good list honey. I mostly agree with you, particularly to the accusation of BLASPHEMY against not liking "A Christmas Story"
BrItT and MaTt said…
Matt and I were talking of our personal favorites the other day and Matt also loves Christmas Story, I personally think it is okay but we now have the movie.

I haven't seen "Miracle of 34th Street" nor "It's a Wonderful Life" all the way through. I plan to sometime but Matt won't do it with me. Maybe we should next year.

I almost would have "Elf" as my top favorite but then ending put it down to number three. I just despise the ending but love the rest!

I used to love the clay animation "Santa Clause is Coming to Town" but then I watched every year for ten years and it got very old.

So with that being said I can't really pick between Christmas Vacation or How the Grinch Stole Christmas. I would have to watch them again to pick. I do really like The Grinch. Jim Carey was amazing in costume and everything else. In fact I think "The Grinch" is neck to neck with "Elf." Unfortunately, Matt doesn't like "The Grinch" so I haven't seen it in a few years.


Oh and on the side note I watched "Muppet Christmas Carol" for the first time this year, kind-of. It is Matt's favorite Christmas Movie. I was busy making goodies for my brother so next time I'll have to really sit down and watch the movie to get a good laugh.
Favorite Christmas movie: The Christmas Story.

Other Mentions: Mickey Mouse Christmas Special Movie. It's not even out on DVD yet.

Jim Carrey's Grinch and Elf.

That's it. I don't watch any other Christmas movies. Chevy Chase National Lampoon Christmas was funny though, but crude.

Popular posts from this blog

Apple Taste Test 2013

Anxiety

Tracie's Journal #2