2.07.2013

10 Reasons I Love Bountiful Baskets

Austin and I have been participating in Bountiful Baskets, a produce co-op, for about a year now. We have loved participating in it, and here's 10 reasons why:

  1. It's affordable. It's $15 for a full basket (we split with another family, making our cost per week for the basket $7.50). The amount in the basket varies week to week, but it's still more affordable than grocery store prices.
  2. I don't have to decide upon a menu before I go grocery shopping. The produce is picked for me. I then plan my menu around that produce. This saves me a lot of time.
  3. Since our meals are planned around fruits and vegetables, we are eating more fruits and vegetables, which is healthier.
  4. We eat in season. Eating in season is better for your pocketbook and for the environment. 
  5. We eat a larger variety of fruits and vegetables. Things I have tried that I either had never tried before or would never buy on my own before Bountiful Baskets: sunchokes, persimmons, acorn squash, spaghetti squash, different varieties of apples, oranges, pears, mangoes, and melons, Brussels sprouts, butter lettuce, bok choy, water chestnuts, anaheim peppers, artichokes, pomegranates, papaya,and other fruits or vegetables I can't recall right now.
  6. It keeps me away from Walmart. Walmart has some of the cheapest prices around, but it's also a horrible organization. I like being able to avoid shopping there. 
  7. I've learned to make more things from scratch due to the add-ons. Several times a year they have an herb add-on. I get it and make pesto in bulk, as well as freeze the herbs (either plain or in butter or oil) for use throughout the year. I learned how to make freezer jam. I have made strawberry, blackberry, pear ginger, peach, plum, and strawberry kiwi freezer jam. I have been motivated to can since they sell boxes of produce for fantastic prices. I learned how to can tomatoes, spaghetti sauce, pears, peaches, pear butter, and applesauce this year. 
  8. This is related to 7. I've become a better cook. I've become better adapted at planning meals around produce and making awesome meals with everything made from scratch.
  9. I've been able to afford awesome bulk staples, like organic 100% wholegrain bread, soft white wheat berries (that I can grind myself in my blender), raw local honey, and organic olive oil.
  10. I get a surprise in my life every week. I love surprises. I love not knowing what I'm going to get each week. It makes things exciting and fresh.

    Bountiful Baskets isn't for everyone, but I foresee our family participating for a long time to come.

1 comment:

Austin said...

Surprises like... BROCCOLI!?!?!?? ;)

2 & 7 are my favorites, and also eggrolls. :)