Habits

I had an interesting thought about habits last night as I tried falling asleep. Of course it wasn't an a-ha! moment as I'm sure I'm not the first to ever think this. But why is it that good habits are so hard to make, but bad habits are as easy to acquire as breathing? I've found the converse to be true as well. Good habits are easy to break while breaking bad habits is as difficult as trying to see with your eyes shut. Case in point: exercise. Trying to begin exercising is tough, but once you are in the habit it can only take one little thing to break it. I remember 8th grade (or was it 9th?) anyway...I started doing sit-ups, leglifts, etc. every night. I did it for like two months. And then I sprained my ankle. I stopped my good habits because it was too painful, but even after the sprain healed I didn't do my exercises anymore. It's easier to maintain laziness. I think part of the reason why good habits are difficult and bad habits are easy is because good habits require more conscientious action. Bad habits are impulses. It's hard to break habits that you do impulsively--in my case, biting my nails. But doing things requiring conscientious action (and taking away your precious tv-watching time) like serving others, reading your scriptures, or exercising constantly is extremely difficult to do. It's easier to do nothing than to do something. Good habits take work, bad habits you fall into. I vow to break the cycle! Who's with me?

Comments

kristyl104 said…
Your insight on habits was right on. I totally agree with you. Good habits really do take time and of course, energy. Good luck with the desire to get started!

Popular posts from this blog

Apple Taste Test 2013

Anxiety

Tracie's Journal #2