Christmas Vacation

Christmas has come and gone but you get to read about it again. This year Austin and I went to Texas to spend Christmas with his family. I was excited to see his family but also felt a bit strange about being away from my family on Christmas for the first time ever.
We flew out on the 21st after Austin had finished his finals. (He did pretty well. Way to go baby!) My parents generously drove us to the airport, and we arrived in plenty of time. There were no complications or setbacks. It was actually quite empty for this time of year. We had a relaxing time while we were there. The week consisted of visiting with family, including both sets of grandparents who came and left at different times; playing Shanghai (I won twice.); watching Psych (a funny TV show friends have been trying to get us to see forever); seeing Alice perform in The Messiah (which was much longer than I thought it was. Apparently there’s more to it than the Hallelujah Chorus); visiting Brett and Laurie and their twin girls (Austin’s friends from childhood); going to Cici’s Pizza with Ammon & Lynette & co. (where Lynette won 2 prizes from the crane game after zealously spending quarters); going to the mall (where I bought Sephora eyeshadow with Christmas money); going to dinner at a Mexican joint (where I got delicious taquitos); going to the Houston Museum of Fine Art (which was pretty cool; we saw almost everything in a few hours. I particularly liked the impressionist and expressionist painting I saw, especially Matisse); and enjoying Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. (I also spent much time staying up and sleeping in. I read two whole books while I was there.)
Christmas Day in the Beckstrom family consisted of getting up early, eating breakfast (including Alice’s famous egg dish that was made by Austin this year), and having the missionaries over. I received many wonderful gifts from Austin this year including Firefly (the complete series, which isn’t much as it got cancelled), The Prydain Chronicles (a book series with 5 volumes that I read and loved as a kid and continue to love as an adult. If you haven’t read them, I suggest doing so.); a guidebook to the Prydain Chronicles; a book containing short stories about Prydain; Legend (80s fantasy movie with Tom Cruise); The Black Cauldron (old Disney movie loosely based on one of the books in the Prydain series which I have actually never seen); jewelry; small tape recorder (so I can record my thoughts and my songs); Tiny Toons (which I received as an early present); new slippers; Coco (Colbie Caillat CD); and a new DS game Professor Layton and the Curious Village (which I have already almost beat).
From Ammon and Lynette I received Girls and Boys (Ingrid Michaelson CD) and Kirby Super Star Ultra game for the DS (which is a port of the game I loved on the SNES system). From Alice and Mark I received a Wii (to be shared with Austin); a ladybug swaddler for Squiggle; and a rocker/glider that I get to pick out for the nursery. We also received money from his grandparents, an appreciated gift. (Some of this money went to my new wonderful eyeshadow.)
Thanks to my Beckstrom (and Valantine) relatives for the Christmas gifts! They were all wonderful! (And thanks to my husband who always spoils me.)
Austin and I were glad to spend time with his family, particularly Ammon & Lynette (and kids) whom we haven’t seen in a long time and won’t see again for a while. We much appreciate Austin’s dad for flying us out there so we could spend time with the family. We enjoyed our stay very much and will miss you all until we can see you again!
Austin and I returned home very late Sunday night (actually it’s more accurate to say very early Monday morning). Once again, security was easy to get through. We did have a half hour boarding delay that caused us to be a little late getting in. My parents picked us up and drove us back home. Thanks Mom & Dad for the ride. We really appreciate it.
My parents generously offered to let us come over for dinner Monday night. This was much appreciated as we had no food in the house. After a delicious dinner (taco salad for me, just tacos for Austin), we opened some presents from my parents. My parents got us this great utility vacuum with several attachable hoses. I was excited for this as it will be perfect to clean our car! I have already thought of several uses I want to put it to. Mom also got me some fuzzy socks and nice perfume. Thanks Mom & Dad!
Austin and I were very spoiled this year as we also received presents from Troy and Jen (who got us two new fun games: Othello and Tri-Ominos); HayLee (who got me a great pair of comfy slippers); and Brittnee and Matt (who got us Partini, a party game I’ve been wanting to try out). Thanks everyone!
I hope everyone had a very merry Christmas. Since I’ve already had the pleasure of reading all about your Christmases, it sounds like you all did.

Comments

Brittnee Ann said…
Yeah for writing in your blog again. I'm so excited!

Sound's like fun and I'm glad Austin spoils you! Matt spoils me with Christmas and so does my parents. Sometimes we wish they didn't. We don't even like to discuss getting spoiled cuz some people don't believe in it but I'm glad Austin does cuz we do around Christmas time ;)
Brittnee Ann said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
I totally ran into your parents at Macey's this week, and it made me want to hang out with you! Thanks for posting- sounds like you were a good girl last year!
Kris said…
Wow, spoiled girl. Many, many, gifts, sounds like you did have a great Christmas even though you were away. Did miss having you here. I'm sure that the Beckstrom's loved that you were able to go to Houston for Christmas. Glad you posted again. Miss reading about your unadventures.
Heather said…
tracie is back. bwah-hahahah (tears of joy)

Sounds like it was so much fun in Texas. I also miss CHristmas with all my siblings. You really are such a spoiled girl!! SO nice of Austin to get you all that stash!

You must have been a very very good girl this past year. So how is Squiggle coming along?

Popular posts from this blog

Apple Taste Test 2013

Anxiety

Tracie's Journal #2