Best & Worst of 2008

Another year has come and gone. By the raise of hands, how many thought 2008 went by extraordinarily fast? It was definitely an interesting year. It was the year of record high gas prices and oddly low gas prices, rising tensions in the Middle East, proposition 8, housing market crashes, stock market crashes, economic recession, and bailouts. The year Bill Gates stepped down as chairman of Microsoft, Michael Phelps became an American hero, and Barack Obama was elected the first Black president. 2008 saw the death of Presidents Hinckley and Faust, Heath Ledger, Charlton Heston, Arthur C. Clarke, Michael Crichton, George Carlin, and Paul Newman among others. I said goodbye to my Great Grandma McNeil and Austin’s Great Aunt Mary Ellen. I said hello to new friendships, a new niece, and the summer sensation of Dr. Horrible. Dear friends moved away. Jobs were lost and found. Yes, it seems change was the big theme of 2008.

Thinking about all of the many things that happened last year led me to a desire to recap my own experiences with 2008. Without further ado, I present to you my Best and Worst of 2008. I’ll start with the Worst as I always find it easier to deal with the bad to find the good rather than the other way around. Plus, it’s always good to end on a positive note.

Worst of 2008:
My heater doesn’t work during the winter and I freeze.
It costs $500 to fix it.
I hate the snow. It snows the end of March.
Heidi and Aaron move away. (Good for them, bad for us.)
Brett & Charlotte move away. (Good for them, bad for us.)
Austin loses his job.
Austin car breaks down and we have to get rid of it.
I make a huge, tiny mistake.
I get an eye infection.

Best of 2008:
We buy a mattress topper
We fix my heater.
I get LOST
We go to Texas for President’s Day Weekend and Christmas.
Heidi has her baby, William Aaron.
We celebrate our birthdays.
We become friends with Charity and James.
We go on vacation to Vegas.
Austin finds a new, better job.
Brittnee and Matt get married.
I work out every day for a few months.
I get a raise and start working from home.
Austin and I write a play.
We go camping with the Wests.
We celebrate our two-year anniversary with a trip to the spa.
Lily is born.
Tyler and Cheryl treat us to Chef's Table for watching their kids.
Austin gets two stories published in a college journal.
We get pregnant!
We discover Thriving Ivory.
Halloween!
Thanksgiving!
We join a book club.


The Rest:
We make tin foil dinners with the Wests.
I get my wisdom teeth taken out.
We go to a college reunion and Summerfest.
We go to Thanksgiving Point.
We visit with the Beckstroms.
We go to a rodeo.
I babysit my nephews for a few days.
We go to a haunted house with Brittnee and Matt.

I now look forward to 2009. The year we welcome our first child into the world! May this year be as good, if not better, than the last.

Comments

Kris said…
I don't even think that I would be able to remember what happened to me for the year 2008. My, has time flown by. I guess I will take the challenge and try and figure out what happened in 2008. Fun to read what happened to you. The best part, baby coming.
Heather said…
The best part for 2008 was getting pregnant.

The best part for 2009 is your baby being born.

Have I got that right? Would both those things be at the top of your list?

Funny, I cannot begin to think the best and worst of 2008 because I am so busy that the year flew, I am a year older, and I have a whole year all over again being busy repeating everything from last year
Brittnee Ann said…
Well said, great post! Cute idea as well...hmm should I steal it...would you care...we shall see if I get around to it ;)
Brittnee Ann said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Charity said…
Very nicely done, Tracie. :) I thoroughly enjoyed your wrapup of the year.
Assmus Family said…
okay hello over the weekend Haylee told me you where pregnant then ya its in your last post.. lol shows how much I pay attention. Anyways im so excited for you guys congratulations!!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Apple Taste Test 2013

Anxiety

Untitled