Crossroads

I went to all of church on Sunday. I had many mixed feelings about being there. Overall though, I think I want to continue to go again more regularly. Though there were some things said that bothered me, I did get one nugget out of the whole thing.

In Sunday School, the teacher mentioned one thing that I thought was a good and helpful analogy. I'll paraphrase because I don't remember exactly what was said:

Going through life you should treat God as your steering wheel and not your spare tire.

They're both pretty important things to have on the journey of life. But one is a constant. Yes, you need that spare tire and it's so helpful to have. And you'd be pretty stuck without it during an emergency. But you only remember it when you need it. And once the emergency has been "fixed," the spare tire isn't relevant anymore. On the other hand, the steering wheel is something you constantly use to get where you need to go.

This is all pretty obvious stuff here, and I'm not being super eloquent. But now I've been thinking about this concept. How often in my life has God been my spare tire and not my steering wheel? Pretty often.

Lately, I haven't been using God as a spare tire or my steering wheel. I haven't blown a tire yet but that doesn't mean it's not going to happen. I haven't even been guiding the steering wheel. I've been on cruise control, meandering this way and that and now I'm at a crossroads. I don't think I've taken a wrong path but the right path is also not clear. So I'm just kinda stuck here for the moment. If I keep continuing on the way I have been, I might just blow a tire or reach a dead end.

Cheesy metaphors aside, I've decided I want God back as my spare tire AND my steering wheel. I'm not happy where I currently am but I also know that I can't be exactly the person I used to be either. But maybe instead of just trying to figure this out and handle it on my own (which has gotten me exactly nowhere), maybe I should have God help me figure out where and how to get where I want to go.

So I'm putting my key in ignition, turning off cruise control, and asking God to be my steering wheel. We'll see where this takes me.

Comments

Austin said…
I think it was President Monson who said "One of the greatest truths we can learn in life is that when God commands and we obey, we will always be right."

To attach that to your metaphor, when we put God as our steering wheel, we will always get to our destination.
Mark said…
Carrie Underwood has a song I like, "Jesus, Take the Wheel" - and although it's not exactly the same metaphor, I like the thought.
HayLee said…
Way to go Tracie!
Let God lead the way, and you will ALWAYS be happy. No matter what the role!
Very well said. Don't forget the emergency toolkit and water too. More stuff we have with us (the gospel), the better.

Popular posts from this blog

Apple Taste Test 2013

Anxiety

Tracie's Journal #2