'Twas the Day After Christmas

Here I am back at work. Cold, dark, tired, and sad. Presents have been opened, food has been eaten, oh yes, Christmas is over. Don't get me wrong. Christmas was good. I just hate being back at work today. I couldn't sleep again last night. And now I'm here at work with nothing to do (and no management in sight) and my lights are almost off (and blinking annoyingly) and it is freezing cold. I wish I would have had today off as well.

Anyway... here's a rundown on my short Christmas break:

Austin and I finished the last little shopping we had left to do over Friday and Saturday and just relaxed. Sunday we went over to my parent's for the McNeil "Bring a Special Thing and Share Memories and Eat Treats" night. That was fun. It was good to see some extended family and hear them share some thoughts. We were to bring an object that was special to us and explain why. I brought my guitar that my dad had given me, and Austin brought his painting he had done in Italy. My guitar is special to me for several reasons. One, I love the sound of the guitar. It will always remind me of my dad and him singing to me and HayLee as we went to sleep. It also reminds me of family time together. Two, I love music and I practiced really hard on my dad's old, beat-up guitar and the night before my 20th birthday my dad presented me with my guitar. It meant a lot to me to have my own guitar. Austin's painting was special to him for several reasons as well. As most know, Austin got cancer when he was 15 and Nana taught him how to paint. He made a wish with the Make-a-Wish Foundation and he wished to go to Italy to study painting. So he went to Italy and painted the painting that now hangs in our house.

Monday, of course, was Christmas Eve. We went over to my parent's house where we ate dinner (and my lousy funeral potatoes). We did some karaoke and talked and did a special nativity presentation with the whole family. Austin was the narrator and I was the angel. We got it taped so that should be pretty cool. Austin and I stayed up late playing Scattergories with Taylor, Trent, and Jessica. We had a really good time. I want Taylor to know that I named one of my video game characters Lammy just for him. We got home really, really late, and then I couldn't sleep for the life of me.

I woke up on Tuesday and Austin and I opened our presents. We were very excited this year as it was our first Christmas together at our own home with our own tree. It was also the first time we could afford decent presents for each other and we went a little crazy. Since I know Austin wants to write about Christmas I'll let him tell you what he got. Here are some of my highlights: Austin got me a gift certificate to a spa to go get a massage. I also got Lois & Clark season 4, Stardust the movie (which we watched last night. I LOVE this movie!), Stardust the book, the Superman collection with Christopher Reeves (I-IV), and Sliders seasons 1 & 2, among others. Another standout present came from my in-laws. Austin's parents got me the Calvin & Hobbes Complete Collector's edition. And I LOVE it. I was SO excited to get this! I've been wanting it since it came out. I now own every Calvin & Hobbes strip ever written, in an attractive (and extremely heavy) hardbound copy. I started reading them last night before bed. It's my favorite comic strip ever and I never tire of them. I'm so excited to finally have my own. I'm extremely grateful to Alice & Mark for their generous gift. :) (Austin thanks them too as he also loves it.)

After opening most of our presents Austin and I headed over to my parents. We got to see everyone and spend some time over there. My parents gave us this really cool griddle/grill appliance that I am also way excited for. Austin and I have lamented selling our griddle for a while now. (Quick story: We got a griddle as a wedding present, we didn't like it, we tried returning it at Costco where we thought it was from [turned out it wasn't], and the guy behind us in line bought it from us for $20. We later found out it was a $35 griddle from BB&B. Sigh.) Anyway, I am really excited to use this (don't know where we'll put it as we have zero shelf space left, but we'll make it work.) and can't wait to cook different things on it. The plates are removable! You can't beat that!

So overall Austin and I had one great Christmas! He was sad about not seeing his family, but he'll see them (with me) in February, which we're both looking forward to. Now we're looking forward to enjoying the presents we received. In all honesty, I was more excited to give Austin his presents than to get mine. I got him stupid stuff last year, and this year I flat-out spoiled him. You'll have to read his blog to find out exactly what I spoiled him with. (I got spoiled too as well, but everyone is entitled to some spoilage once in a while.)

Now I bid adieu. I shall write again once more. In case no one noticed, I posted part four of the Tracie & Austin story earlier. If you did notice and read it, go back and comment. Sheesh. Here I get all this pressure to update this story and then almost nobody says anything once I finally do. Part five will be coming as soon as I write it. I don't know when that will be. Here's wishing everyone a Merry Christmas!

Comments

lynette said…
Sounds like your Christmas was merry and bright! Here's to a wonderful 2008!
Heather said…
This is a start of many Christmas seasons in your own home!

How fun to start just on your own with your own tree and everything.

Wait til the kids come, and it SOoooOO much more FUN!
Anonymous said…
Dad B said - we read all the Tracie blogs, especially the Austin and Tracie story - more Austin and less Devon please.

Glad you had a good Christmas - sorry you have to be back at work so soon, but it pays the rent.

Good news is we'll see you in 2 mos.
Tracie said…
Ah stop complaining honey. I married you, didn't I? Anyway... you know the next part of the story is more about you anyway.
kristyl104 said…
We had a great Christmas didn't we. I think that you and Austin were the winners in the gift department. When the family comes things will change. Enjoy it now. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Apple Taste Test 2013

Anxiety

Tracie's Journal #2