Boy Oh Boy



Austin and I recently went in for our twenty-week ultrasound. I was really nervous for several reasons. Like other obsessive, neurotic (or otherwise normal) people, I constantly worry about the health of my baby. Am I getting enough nutrients? Is the baby growing? Does our baby have some weird birth defect? Has our baby stopped growing? Am I going to lose the baby? These fears have been compounded upon due to the fact that I have not yet felt the baby move. :( (Still stressing about this one as I am coming upon 22 weeks here.) I was also nervous because we were finally going to find out the sex. Though I (and many others) have been convinced it's a boy from the beginning, I was a bit anxious to discover for sure.

It was SO relieving to see our little baby. There were two arms, two legs, toes, fingers, a belly, head, back, spine, brain, heart, and other organs. I can't begin to relate the relief that it looked like a baby (albeit a very small one) instead of a mutant. Since many of you know that I really wanted a girl, I was curious to know what my reaction would be when/if I found it was a boy. When the technician announced that it was positively a boy my first reaction was "tell us something we don't know." But secondly, and most importantly, I realized I really didn't care that I wasn't having a girl. I was having a boy! My boy! I was having a son. And then I began to cry. It didn't matter anymore that I wouldn't be buying ribbons or bows. I'm going to be a mom. I've realized for months that I'm having a baby but this was the first time it really hit me that I'm going to be a mom. The mom of a little boy. And he's going to be MY boy. (And he's going to be SO cute. :) ) Anyway, after the relievement of hearing that our baby is totally healthy and normal and he has no abnormalities, it was finally time to spread the good news!

Austin called his parents right away and let them he was having a son. I wanted to tell my family in person, but it would have to wait a day because Austin had evening classes the day we found out. This meant I had to keep the news on the downlow and try to keep it from leaking on facebook. This also gave me a day to figure out how I was going to tell my family. After searching online for a while for ideas, which was mostly fruitless, I came upon the idea to use cupcakes. I bought vanilla cake and frosting and dyed the cake batter blue. The frosting I divided in half, dying half pink and half blue. So the insides of the cupcakes were blue and I frosted half the cupcakes with pink frosting and the other half with blue. The idea was that they were to pick by frosting color what they thought I was having and then bite into to discover what it really was. But I thought this was a bit too simple so I also decided to write a poem. I couldn't let the family think Trent was the only one who knew how to write a clever riddle! (Backstory: Trent wrote a riddle about what they were naming his first daughter for the family to solve.) Anyway, I wrote this poem:



in june I will come to join
the McNeil family, true.
now i ask the question:
am i pink or am i blue?

Ask me many questions,
for i will never tell you lies.
i will be a Beckstrom;
this is no surprise.

Others may ponder,
am i daddy's girl or mama's guy?
you'll just have to keep on asking:
am i an x or a Y?

if you are stumped
and no more suspense you can take,
go ahead and take a bite
out of my delicious cupcakes.

Can you solve it?


Hint: Look for the capital letters.


Solution: The capital letters spell out IM A BOY

I actually was surprised that no one deduced the actual solution. (Though many were suspect that the Y was capitalized when the X wasn't.) I had everyone bite into the cupcakes at the same time and everyone discovered the blue cake! Yay! I was having a boy!


Here is our ultrasound pictures. We also got a DVD but it only recorded half of the actual ultrasound, which means it doesn't include the best shots or the shot where we discovered it was a boy. So, I'm glad we at least got a picture of it.



I'm having a little boy! We can't wait till June to meet you!

Comments

lynette said…
cute and clever way of letting your family know what you were having! i've never done anything special like that but one of my sisters gave us wrapped candybars--without nuts! hahaha!
Charity said…
Yay congratulations! You are so cute and your little boy will be the most precious thing in the world.
Heather said…
I love this cute idea that you did Tracie! I absolutely love it! I never seen this idea before, with dyed cupcakes. But the poem along with the cakes--perfect!

I love the subtle hints you put into the riddle. Love it! Be sure to print a copy of the blog post with the pictures to put in Morgan's baby book!

Now I gotta teach you to digi scrap for all the baby pics you will end up taking later this year. (easier and cheaper than traditional scrapping)
Kris said…
Yeah! We're having a grandson. I'm excited that we are having a grandchild in June. Your idea was very clever. Loved it! And of course he will be cute. No denying that. Having those fears is a totally normal feeling that all new moms have. You will have them every time you are pregnant. He will be perfect in every way. Love you.
Brittnee Ann said…
That is such a cute idea! I wonder if I would even think to do something like that-way to strut your creativity while you can...j/k!
Charlo said…
I'm always (I'm sure you've noticed) half hazardly capitalizing words with no aparent rhyme or reason... so I probably would not have noticed at all. I like the cupcake Idea, interesting.
Kimberlee Pyne said…
I am so excited for you guys!!! We need to do something again soon. Oh do you have a name yet?
Lechelle said…
Yay! I'm glad the baby is healthy. The cupcakes are a really good idea.
JanB said…
Can't wait to see him!
He will definietly be a cutie!

Popular posts from this blog

Apple Taste Test 2013

Anxiety

Tracie's Journal #2