Popcorn Popping on an Electric Stove

I love popcorn. It is one of the best treats ever invented. I am perfectly capable of devouring enormous quantities of popcorn single-handedly.

I blame my mom.

She is also a popcorn fiend.

But this isn't about her.

This is about fluffy, buttery popcorn and all of its marvelous wonderousness. My life has been forever changed.

So I'm not a complete idiot. I was perfectly aware that not all popcorn comes from little paper bags cooked via "the popcorn button" in the microwave. I mean, I had heard of air poppers.

What I didn't know is that it was entirely possible to cook popcorn YOURSELF...ON THE STOVE. Thanks goes to Charity who shared this little piece of wisdom with me.

A few weeks ago Austin and I went over to Charity and James' to watch a French postapocalyptic film about cannibals called Delicatessen. (Verdict: Weird, but interesting. And the French are weird.) Anyway, being the good host that she is, Charity had made some homemade popcorn that was absolutely delicious. Seriously. Best. popcorn. EVER. I was shocked to learn she had made it entirely herself. "It's easy," she insisted. "I must know how this was done!" I declared.

And she told me.

Flash forward a few weeks later. I got a massive craving at like midnight on a weekday to make popcorn....Only to discover that popcorn does not have an indeterminable shelflife. Since Austin and I were married, we had kept popcorn kernels in a cute ceramic jar aptly labeled "POPCORN." I opened this jar to discover green, moldly kernels. Apparently, two years wrecks havoc on corn kernels kept in ceramic jars. In dismay, I threw out my kernels, determined to try again soon.

The next time we went grocery shopping, I joyously bought a bag of kernels. Shortly thereafter I, Tracie, "Homemade Popcorn Virgin," attempted to pop my own corn.

Holding and shaking the pan, I giggled and delighted like a child learning the joys of riding a swing for the first time. Every pop!pop!pop! filled me with utter joy and wonderment. Afterwards, I melted butter and poured that (along with a smidgen of salt) on my popcorn. It was the best thing I have ever tasted.

My life has been ruined now, however. I will never be able to enjoy microwave popcorn again. (Particularly not the horrible, tasteless, bland, generic crap that Walmart now sells instead of the respectable ACT II.)

For those of you who have not yet experienced this wonder, do yourself a favor and pop your own corn today. Your taste buds will thank you.


Comments

Charity said…
ha ha, Tracie, you make me laugh. you're so cute with your popcorn-induced giddiness. hey we bought a new popper on monday! more air popped deliciousness at the West home. :)
Charlo said…
That is so funny, I've gone with the air popper route, mostly because I am not a big fan of washing out pots. You know what is ridiculous though, is that they sell pots dedicated to popping popcorn. overpriced gadgetry I tell you... you don't need a funky lid to make popcorn.

My mother is also a popcorn fiend. I kid you not my Mother buys it 20 lb bags, makes it at least 4 days a week.
lynette said…
that looks delish! but, i was waiting for directions--how do you do it?
Heather said…
hmm, you and I should talk more. I have been doing this for the last 5 years if I don't have microwavable popcorn in the cupboard, and if I want something with a little more oomph that air popped popcorn.

Don't forget that Grandma Vivian is actually the popcorn fiend. When Troy, Tyler, and I were little..we were at Grandma's about an average of every 7 to 10 days, and we always had popcorn popping. Later when the other sibs were born, we were eating Grandpa Gary's homemade bread and sticks of Grandma's gum. We just got to be too many kids to keep up with the popcorn popping on the apricot tree. So seriously lots of poppin going on in the early 70's to 80's at Grandma V's. It eventually meshed over into our family regular favorite treats along with Dad's licorice, bridge mix, and Mom's CC cookies. Now do you remember?
Kris said…
Yeah, popcorn. Love it, gotta have it. And thank you Heather for the trip down memory lane. Yes, Grandma did start the popcorn loving. Good times.
Tracie said…
To Lynette: take a stock pot and put 3 TB of oil in it over medium heat, put 3 kernels in it, when those pop the oil is hot enough. Add 1/3 cup of popcorn kernels. Put a lid on the pan. Shake it until the popping stops.

Dump out popcorn and add toppings.
Tracie said…
Sorry Heather. I don't remember eating popcorn at Grandma's. I do remember homemade bread, but not popcorn. I must have been too young.
Lechelle said…
I only just discovered popcorn on the stove because my neighbor just bought some special pan for it. It tastes sooo much better!
By the way, your little preggo belly is adorable. Healthy babies are the best!

Popular posts from this blog

Apple Taste Test 2013

Anxiety

Tracie's Journal #2