New Year

It is now February. But that doesn't mean I can't make New Year's resolutions anymore. In fact, I hope that we all constantly make and strive to meet goals all year, not just at the beginning.

I wanted to briefly give an account of my New Year's Eve. The McNeil family (and some on Cheryl's side) had a lovely party over at Tyler and Cheryl's. There was good food and good company. Austin and I (and by that I mean me) planned some games. They were well-received. It was good to see a group of adults laughing that hard. Highlights include Austin miming giving an elephant a bath and my dad screeching out "Baby, if you love me, won't you please, please smile."

At midnight we had the countdown and Austin and I kissed:


We then had some brief, but really cool, albeit illegal fireworks courtesy of Tyler.

The next day we spent some time with Heidi, Aaron, and Will, and then went out to dinner to Red Robin with Brittnee and Matt. The day after this I started throwing up and then didn't stop. I thought it was pregnancy-related at first until I realized it wouldn't stop and I couldn't keep anything down, not even water. Austin was really worried about me and the baby. We thought I may have to go to the hospital to get rehydrated. Fortunately, after about 18 hours (and a blessing and many prayers) I was able to keep some water down. Several hours later I was able to keep other liquids down. I was then on a liquid diet for another day or so. Apparently I picked up the stomach flu somewhere. Poor Austin also caught it eventually, though he recovered faster than I did. This was how we started out the New Year. :)

And now for my resolutions:

1. Establish my priorities. Make time for what's important and get rid of the things that are not. Specifically, I want to start making it to all my Church meetings and make time for daily scripture study, weekly FHE, and monthly temple attendance.
2. Organize my home and prepare for the baby. This includes getting rid of stuff I don't need, getting the stuff I do need, and making any other preparations.
3. Exercise, eat well, and take care of me and baby.

That's about it for now. I hope to make other goals later this year. It's very weird to be pregnant because this is the first year EVER in my life that I haven't made a goal to lose weight. I've struggled with my weight since I was about ten (except for like a two-year period between the ages of 19-21). It's weird to see the scale going up and be okay with it. I will soon be heavier than I have ever been in my entire life, even when I was overweight in high school. I know all of this is necessary weight, but it's still a little difficult on my psyche when you've spent your life trying not to be overweight and working so hard to see the scale get lower. It's strange to think I've ranged in size SEVEN different dress sizes since I've reached my full growth.

I hope I will be able to lose baby-weight when the time comes. Not because I'm obsessed with being thin (because I've never been obsessed with "thinness" itself), but because I'm obsessed with finally being healthy and happy. I'm not fully happy being overweight nor am I fully healthy. And with my family history, being overweight is not going to make things easier. I ironically wasn't happiest at my thinnest either (which some people said was too thin). It was also way too difficult to stay that thin. Staying that thin meant eating next to nothing and getting several hours of exercise a day. Too much work. I was happiest at the weight considered "healthy" for my height. I wasn't a stick or perfectly toned. I still had a small belly roll at this time, but I felt good and I looked good and I could do what I wanted to do with my body. And that what real health is about. It isn't about the number or the size but how you feel in your own skin and being able to do what you enjoy doing without hinderance. It's about your heart, your lungs, and all of your body being able to work the way they're supposed to. And to do all this you don't need to have the society-depicted "perfect" body. But that's just my two cents.

Happy belated New Year everyone!

Comments

Kris said…
Good goals to achieve. Some sound like mine. good luck with the weight. I know that I have always struggled with it. I like your attitude about weight. Be happy in your skin.

Popular posts from this blog

Apple Taste Test 2013

Anxiety

Tracie's Journal #2