Working for the Weekend

“And there it goes, my innocence. . .There’s something more than the world out there”
Well, here I am again, posting. I actually have something to post about too. So, as many of you know, I’m not totally in love with my job. Don’t get me wrong—it is a good job. But it’s 40 miles away (80 miles roundtrip). And driving two hours every day is not my cup of tea, er, hot chocolate. Also, I don’t feel like my talent is being used for all it’s worth. There’s never enough to do, and I get tremendously bored. It’s the same thing all the time, and it’s really not the type of editing I’d prefer to do. I also realized that I’m not as happy here as I could be for various reasons. So, last week when my former editing teacher forwarded a job opportunity at an LDS publishing firm in Springville, I eagerly jumped at the chance.
My dream is to edit fiction. It has been for some time. I also think I’d be great at it. Not to be prideful, but I think I’m a darn good editor. If there’s one thing I am good at, it’s editing. And I love it so. So I have both the passion and the skill. Unfortunately, editing jobs at publishing firms and editing jobs in general in Utah are slim to none. It’s just not the publishing Mecca of the world. I know I’d probably make more money and have more opportunities if I left Utah, but, as much as I love editing, having a great career isn’t high on my list of priorities.
So I emailed my resume and secured a job interview. If you can call it that. It was the worst interview I’ve ever been on. Not because I performed badly, but because they asked me absolutely zero questions. Yes, that’s right, they didn’t ask me one question about myself. My interviewer looked at my resume and said “that’s good,” “oh you have that,” “very good.” She then told me a little bit about the company and the benefits. And then introduced me, by name, to everyone in the company. She wrote “call back” on my interview and said she would email me the editing test. I did the editing test, and I think I did a really good job on it despite the fact that I thought it was poorly designed. But anyway I had mixed feelings about the whole thing. Both jobs had their pros and cons. I was looking forward to a 17-minute commute and to working for a publishing company (albeit an LDS publishing company, but beggars can’t be choosers) and to gain book editing and design skills. But those were the only draws. It paid less than here, the insurance and benefits weren’t great, and I would get no holiday/sick/vacation pay for a whole year (which would be pointless as I am planning to only be working full-time for another year or so as Austin and I would like to start our family). So I went back and forth about all of those things. Turns out I didn’t even have a decision to make.
This morning I found out that I did not get the job. To be honest, I’m not that upset. It did help put things in perspective though. I wasn’t dying for the other job and made me think about the things I do like about here. I still don’t totally love it and will still keep my eyes open for other opportunities, but, for now, I’ll be content to work at a place that I feel I at least earned my place. I didn’t feel the other place rejected me as they gave me zero opportunity to sell myself. Really, it’s their loss.

Comments

JohansenWest said…
Yeah, I totally agree with you. Their loss. By the way, I really like that song you put at the beginning of your post--are you a collective soul fan?
Kris said…
I hope that you find where you would like to be so that your wonderful talents can be used to their full capacity. Glad that you gave it a shot.
Kris said…
And by the way. I've missed reading your blogs. Welcome back.
Heather said…
Yes, welcome BACK!!!!

That is so true for how the whole world operates around us, always searching for new opportunities.

One payback at your current job is networking. The more people you know in the edit/journal business, the more these opportunities turn up while still waiting and working around at a place that doesn't exactly inspire you.

Everyone will always have bills to pay, but that DREAM of yours is going to come true someday.
Charlo said…
When you consider that you don't get paid for the 2 hours of commuting, the gas, or the vehicle wear and tear, Sometimes a pay cut is worth it.

I always conciser that when comparring jobs. Mostly because I dodn't ever want to commute, so they had better make it worth it.

Popular posts from this blog

Apple Taste Test 2013

Anxiety

Untitled