The Best Shows No One Watched

Every single time I find a new show that I absolutely LOVE, I find out it was canceled way before it's time. (And yet, pure drivel like Two and a Half Men is still on the air.) This is my tribute to 5 shows that were canceled before their time.

  1.  Arrested Development. Also known as #1 reason I hate FOX. This show was brilliant and hilarious. It had a stellar ensemble cast, great writing, and well, it was just awesome in pretty much every way. One of the best comedies ever. If you haven't seen it, RUN--don't walk--to the nearest big box store and buy it.  Seriously. Buy it today. You won't regret it. Let's all hope that the movie gets made.
  2. Firefly. #2 reason I hate FOX. (Oh, and Heather, we saw this, and loved it, years ago. :) )This show was made by Joss Whedon people! Who totally rocks. (Buffy, Angel, Dr. Horrible, Dollhouse, they're all good. And I own, or will own, all of them.) So Firefly is the best sci-fi western nobody watched. Until it was on DVD. And it was so good that they made a movie (Serenity, which is also awesome). I love this show. The characters are pure gold. Mal, Wash, Zoe, Simon, River, Jayne, Book, Kaylee, Inara. This is the type of show you mourn when the end credits of the last episode rolls. They were just getting started! Every episode is great. Buy this. Watch it. Love it.
  3. Pushing Daisies. I just started watching this a few weeks ago on Netflix. I had heard it talked about before, but I didn't know what it was about. I watched the first episode, and I was in love. I knew before the episode was over that I was going to love this show. It was like watching mini-feature films with each episode. I love the Jim Dale narration, I love the costumes, I love the whimsy, I love the dark comedy, I love the surrealism, and I love the cheesiness. I love it all. Awesome show. Watch it today and scorn the stupid producers who decided to cancel it.
  4. Better Off Ted. One word: BRILLIANT. Started watching this recently as well. It's quick-paced and quick-witted. It has awesome writing. (Are you noticing a theme here? I like shows with good writing.) I love Veronica, played by Portia de Rossi. She's hilarious. Favorite character for sure. I also love seeing a good strong female lead, which she definitely is. I hate that producers think that people can't handle shows that move beyond the yawn boring cliches we've seen a hundred gazillion times. This show was original and sarcastic and just so different from everything I've ever seen on TV. I cry tears for this show. Canceling shows like this is why people are leaving network TV. All that's left (with a few exceptions) is vapid, crappy writing interpersed with vapid (albeit occasionally addictive) reality shows.
  5. Dollhouse. I really liked this show. It was just getting better and made me think about what it means to be a person. Who are you really? Is it your memories, your past, your actions, your thoughts? I haven't watched season 2 yet, but I will as soon as Netflix makes it available on instant play. 
So this is just a very short list with brief descriptions. I've got WOW to play people. But I wanted to keep my commitment of blogging every day for a month. So, tell me, is there a show that I've forgotten?

Comments

Newsradio.

Soon to join the list: Community! It's seriously getting to the point where whenever there's a new network show that I like, it's time to start the countdown to cancellation. That's why cable shows are more fun to follow. They actually have a shot at survival.
Mark said…
Add Veronica Mars to the list.

Of course, the most famous was the original Star Trek

When you come down for Thanksgiving, we'll loan you season 1 and 2 of VM.
I know!! Ryan and I loved the Firefly episodes. The western stuff thrown into it a sci fi is what made us really love it, and laugh, and enjoy the show. We too loved the characters. Go Mal!! Shiny!
Cheryl said…
Veronica Mars all the way!!! Loved that show. And only 3 seasons. Very sad!
We have also been watching Bones. So good. Got me out of my mourning for Veronica Mars. It's also on Netflix Instant Play.
We also like Dollhouse. Season 2 is in our Queue next.
Charlo said…
1. I watched the fist Firefly episode and stoped. Would you say it gets better, or is obviously not for stupid people like me who don't appreciate the premiers.

2. Dido on veronica Mars. Not a quirky comedy like most of my favorites (Better off Ted, Pushing daisies), but still addicting. Season one had some weird moments though... mostly the green sceenes... didn't fit with the genre of the show, I thought.

3. I'm halfway thought dollhouse season 2. third disk sitting by my tv. So far, i haven't liked it nearly as much as season 1... seams like they know the end of their show is coming and so they are focusing on wrapping the show up rather than building plot. But, I also HATED the season 1 finale. I don't know if that is typical of Dollhouse fans.

Popular posts from this blog

Apple Taste Test 2013

Anxiety

Untitled