Getting my Zs

I've written before about how I have a problem getting enough sleep. This was partially due to baby, PPD, and OCD/addictive habits. I'm happy to report that the last week I got about 7-8 hours of sleep every day. I'm still staying up later than I should, but I'm making a lot of progress. I'm hoping that I can continue to break the self-destructive habit/addiction cycle that I've been living in the last 2 years.

 For those that didn't know, I couldn't make myself go to bed at a reasonably hour, even when I wanted. I would read, watch TV, or stay on the computer for hours and hours and hours. Sometimes even until dawn. Even when I wanted to go to bed, I couldn't make myself do it. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that I don't feel in control of my life. I'm very busy taking care of a toddler and working all day every day. My husband is at school or work all day and part of the night. So by the time I get time to myself I have to wait till Morgan and Austin are in bed. I think this was the cause of me staying up for hours. Me trying to feel like I had something in my life that I got to choose and control. But obviously, it was not good for me, my family, or my health. So I'm glad I'm feeling like I'm starting to gain control over my life again.

I really hope it's not a fluke, but I've been doing better lately. I think I'm starting to realize that whatever wants to keep me up can wait until the next day. I'm sure I'll still have relapses, but I'm hoping I can start having a healthier lifestyle. I'm feeling A LOT better. I have more energy and I'm happier. I can get more done. You never realize what a difference sleep makes until you don't get it (or when you start getting it).

Now I'm feeling like I can start tackling the other areas in my life that I need to work on. Here's hoping that I can continue to keep getting my much-needed Zs!

Comments

Austin said…
I am SO glad you've been sleeping more and better. I'll do whatever I can to help. Love you.
Good for you. A good night's sleep always makes a world of difference for me. I am a much better wife, mother, and all around person when I am well rested.
Wendy McMillan said…
And now that I am only 3 hrs behind you, hopefully I won't contribute anymore to the problem.
HayLee said…
good for you! that is mucho improvementado.
You should get as much sleep as you can, simply because there may come a time when you ARE trying to go to sleep and you literally can't because your mind and your body won't let you. Trust me, it sucks.
Tracie said…
@Jake: I am very much acquainted with that sort of sleep disorder as well. ;) I've had sleeping problems my whole life. My choice of topic for my 9th grade research paper? Sleep disorders.
Charlo said…
It's like breaking any addiction. You'll get back on a bad sleep schedule, it will take you a while to get on a normal one... rinse, repeat. each time you're nomal schedule will last a little longer and your bad periods will get a tiny bit shorter. I'm still trying to fix mine, but I've been doing better each time.
Charlo said…
It's like breaking any addiction. You'll get back on a bad sleep schedule, it will take you a while to get on a normal one... rinse, repeat. each time you're nomal schedule will last a little longer and your bad periods will get a tiny bit shorter. I'm still trying to fix mine, but I've been doing better each time.
BrItT and MaTt said…
Yah that is exciting. I love hearing about personal success stories! Keep it up!!

Popular posts from this blog

Apple Taste Test 2013

Anxiety

Tracie's Journal #2