Why Reproduce?

This is a reply-turned-post.

My coworker and friend Amanda R. asked on her blog "Why reproduce?" She wanted to know people's personal reasons for having kids. I replied and decided to post it on my blog. I ended up commenting more on general reasons than personal reasons for having kids, but here is my reply anyway:

Why Reproduce?
It's definitely not a decision to be made lightly. It's a HUGE commitment. And spending one-on-time with children, like [another commenter suggested], is a great help. Though really there is no comparison when it's your own offspring.

Why reproduce? Because my son is the greatest joy I have ever known. I don't say that lightly either as I haven't fallen in love with motherhood as my other friends did. I'm not the "traditional Mormon woman." I wanted to be a mom but it wasn't the all-out only burning passion or ambition of my life. (There are MANY things I want to do besides being a mother.) [Disclaimer: I don't think there is anything wrong with having "being a mom" as your personal ambition. Being a mom is a noble calling. Nor do I think that ALL moms have no other ambitions.] I also don't think that every woman should be a mom nor do I think that every woman should stay home. [Edited to add: I think the choice to have kids or not or to stay home or not is a personal one that every couple should make for themselves.]

So, enough rambling, why have kids? Because they're like having a little piece of God in your life. I have never understood my parents, both earthly and heavenly, as well as I do now. There is nothing more amazing or powerful than to create and bring forth life. The happiness that a child can bring compares to nothing that I have known thus far in my life.

For some people it gives them a sense of purpose. I've also heard others say having children "keeps them young." It also teaches one to be like Jesus as being a parent requires the most patience and selflessness than probably any other task.

That being said, being a parent is the hardest, most difficult, most rewarding, most challenging thing I have ever done. But hey, it's definitely WORTH IT.

Comments

1. They are cute.
2. They teach you things about life and yourself.
3. They can be an endless source of entertainment.

Those are the best reasons I can come up with.
Austin said…
Kids make me happy, infinitely more so when it's ours.

And i'd like to impart some of the wisdom i've learned so far upon someone who doesn't know any better not to trust me.
Mark said…
It's even better when your kids have kids
Amanda S. said…
Nice! Now I can come here to see what your friends and family think, too!

Popular posts from this blog

Apple Taste Test 2013

Anxiety

Untitled